Today, I bring you Garlic Scape Pesto with Spinach.
I'd never heard of Garlic Scapes until I started reading Angela's Blog a few years ago, she got some in her CSA box, and made pesto. Garlic Scape pestos are all over Pinterest, so I played around, and used what I had to make my own.
- 1 lb box of short cut pasta (Garden Rotini is my favorite)
- Handful of basil (I got some huge leaves, the first of my garden harvest!)
- 1 cup of spinach, washed
- 3 Garlic Scapes
- 1 Cup Parmesan
- Olive Oil
- Juice of One Lemon
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Add all other ingredients, except Olive Oil to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until chopped finely.
- Drizzle in Olive Oil until a thick sauce.
- Drain pasta and add pesto. Stir to combine.
There was a bit more bite to the Garlic Scapes than I'd thought, so I ended up adding a lot more cheese to cut the spice, but the pasta also helped.
My family all gave rave reviews, and I'm a big fan of pesto anyway. I can't wait until I get more basil in my garden. It smelled fantastic.
To go with my pesto, I also grabbed some mint sprigs from my garden, chopped them up, and added it to Crystal Light Lemonade. It was VERY refreshing, and got even more refreshing as it sat overnight. Score!
Have a safe, Happy Independence Day! Keep your pets in doors, and have plenty of water handy for extinguishing sparklers!
- What are your favorite summer recipes?
- Growing anything fun in your garden?
- Any big Independence Day Plans?